It’s hard to believe how much the world has changed just in the past few months. The hospitality industry is no exception as hotels and other lodging properties have seen significant drops in reservations. It’s no doubt that travel will look different as restrictions begin to fade and life begins to return to normal. It can be difficult to predict what this may look like, but we have some ideas of what to expect. Many of these restrictions have been implemented to stop the spread of COVID-19. We know that those at the highest risk from facing serious complications are people over 60 and those with preexisting medical conditions. As a result, we expect millennials to be the first to resume travel because they are younger and generally healthier. In order to attract this group, we ask the questions: Who are millennials and what are they looking for in travel experiences?
What Makes Millennials Unique?
- Born between 1980 and the mid-1990s (age ranges from mid-twenties to forty)
- Adventurous, willing to try new experiences
- Well-educated and passionate about learning
- Intuitive knowledge of technology
- Generous with time and willing to help others
- Prioritize wellness, the environment, and diversity
- Adaptable, flexible, willing to change
Why Millennials Will be the First to Travel Again
Millennials seek unique activities while exploring the world and will want to resume this as soon as possible. Millennials would rather spend their money on travel experiences than material objects. After surveying millennials in our area, we did indeed discover that while some will be cautious about traveling too soon, many are ready for adventure now. 72% of our respondents said they would be ready to travel by August of 2020. Common themes of what they said they would be looking for at properties include increased sanitation measures such as spreading out guests and having a list of what the cleaning procedures are.
How to Target Millennials
- Property should be as visible as possible on the internet
- Post to social media pages anything new going on at your property such as food dishes, updated room designs, new technology features, and how your property is helping the community
- Website should be mobile-friendly because millennials use the internet on their smart phones
- Post at all times of the day because this generation checks their phones 24/7
- Send reminder e-mails about rescheduling to those who may have cancelled reservations due to the travel restrictions
- Offer and advertise environmentally friendly bedding because the millennial generation tends to be more concerned about these issues
- Offer recycling, farm to table food, and use a food compost if possible
- Have room accessories with the most up-to-date technology such as phone chargers, Wifi (free), and flat screen tvs
- Advertise your ways of giving back to the community
Experiences Millennials Might Enjoy
- Highlight local hiking trails for guests to explore
- Mention reputable local wineries and distilleries
- Name local shops, restaurants, businesses in your town, and possible background stories about the community
- List historical landmarks, national parks, gardens, beaches, and local attractions
Good Customer Reviews are Vital to the Success of the Business
Positive reviews can be enough to persuade people to book a reservation even as they feel slightly uncomfortable about traveling still. Common positive reviews include complimenting staff, the food, the location, the comfort of the bedding, etc. It is important to send out e-mails to guests to rate their experience at your property because favorable reviews will give your property a positive image. Millennials are tech-savy and are generally more willing to write a positive review about your property if they had a good experience. As the number positive reviews about your property increases, the credibility will improve because it is coming from a larger sample size.
InnStyle can Help
InnStyle is here for you as your property adapts to the new normal in the hospitality industry. You may have more questions about ways to publicize your property to guests like millennials or what necessary sanitary equipment your property needs going forward. Please give us a call and speak with one of our account managers. We are more than happy to assist you by answering questions and recommending products that can help. We can be reached at 267-354-6020 or 800-877-4667. Our website is https://www.innstyle.com/.