As an innkeeper, it’s a fact of life.
Drinks get spilled, kids get nosebleeds, and every so often, you find yourself having to figure out how to get urine out of a mattress.
We owe it to our guests to respect their privacy, but we also owe it to ourselves – and more importantly, to future guests – to make sure our rooms are cleaned properly.
With that in mind, we’ve put together these tips on ways to get urine out of a mattress.
How to get urine out of a mattress – when the stain is fresh
Chances are you’ll be more likely to find a dry urine stain than a fresh one. But if you encounter a wet mattress, follow these steps:
- Pull all the bedding off the bed and get it into the washer as soon as possible.
- Mix white vinegar with water in a spray bottle. The mixture should 50/50 water-to-vinegar.
- Use a towel to blot – not scrub – the liquid in the mattress. Scrubbing could force the urine into the mattress foam, making it more difficult to remove the scent.
- After you’ve blotted away the moisture, spray the water-vinegar solution over the stain and blot away excess liquid.
- Cover the area with baking soda and wait at least eight hours. Vacuum up the baking soda and inspect the stained area. If the stain or odor persists, repeat these steps until the mattress has returned to normal.
How to get urine out of a mattress – when the stain has dried
If you’ve discovered a urine stain that’s already dried and set in, you’re going to need a more powerful cleaning solution. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- In a spray bottle, combine eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda and two or three drops of dish soap. You may also want to add a few drops of essential oil to leave behind a pleasant aroma.
- Spray the mixture over any stains you can see. Be sure you cover everything with an even coat.
- Allow the mixture to sit and dry. Eventually, you should notice a layer of baking soda residue begin to form on the mattress.
- Vacuum up this residue. If stains and odors persist, repeat these steps until they’ve vanished. The longer you let the cleaning mixture sit and do its work, the less likely it is that you’ll need to keep repeating this process.
Get urine out of a mattress: Prevention is the best cure
In the end, the most effective way to get urine out of a mattress is to ensure it never gets there in the first place, which you can do by investing in mattress covers.
Among our products is the CleanRest Mattress Protector. This protector fits over your mattress in the same fashion as a fitted sheet, keeping it safe from wetness and stains.
Waterproof and phthalate- and BPA-free, this protector is machine washable, available in a range of sizes and backed by a 10-year warranty.
We also carry the Sleep Title Mattress Protector which is 100% waterproof, anti-allergenic, protects against dust mites and bacteria and comes with a 15 year warranty against all liquid spills.
Contact our sales team today at 800-477-4667 to learn more about our mattress protection options.