Beds come in all shapes and sizes, but they all have the same job: giving you – and your guests – a good night’s sleep.
But beds can only truly be comfortable when they’re outfitted with the right bedding, as anyone who’s ever wrestled with a too-small sheet can tell you.
That’s why we’ve put together this guide to standard mattress sizes and standard sheet sizes. Read on to learn how to measure bedding and mattresses to ensure a comfortable rest for you and your guests.
Twin beds are designed to allow one person to sleep comfortably, particularly sleepers who don’t need a lot of space. The standard sheet sizes for twin beds are:
- Mattress – 39 x 75 inches, 99 x 190 cm
- Bed skirt – 39 x 75 inches, 99 x 190 cm
- Fitted sheet – 39 x 75 inches, 99 x 190 cm
- Flat sheet – 68 x 96 inches, 173 x 244 cm
- Comforter – 68 x 86 inches, 173 x 218 cm
Full size bedding
Full-size beds fall between a twin and a queen in the bed hierarchy and are great for older kids, or for adults who want more room to move around than they’d get with a twin bed.
Also known as double beds, full-size beds give you more than enough room for two pillows, which is why full or double sheet sets come with two pillowcases.
The standard mattress sizes and sheet sizes for full-sized bedding are:
- Mattress – 54 x 75 inches, 137 x 90 cm
- Bed skirt – 54 x 75 inches, 137 x 90 cm
- Fitted sheet – 54 x 75 inches, 137 x 90 cm
- Flat sheet – 81 x 96 inches, 206 x 244 cm
- Comforter – 86 x 86 inches, 218 x 218 cm
Queen size bedding
Queen size beds typically come with larger bedding, allowing sleepers to enjoy a cozier and more luxuriant rest.
The standard sheet sizes and mattress sizes for a queen bed are:
- Mattress – 60 x 80 inches, 153 x 203 cm
- Bed skirt – 60 x 80 inches, 153 x 203 cm
- Fitted sheet – 60 x 80 inches, 153 x 203 cm
- Flat sheet – 90 x 102 inches, 228 x 259 cm
- Comforter – 90 x 90 inches, 228 x 228 cm
King sized beds
At last, we come to the king. Wider than queen beds by more than a foot, these beds offer sleepers plenty of room to toss and turn (and couples plenty of space of their own).
Unlike queen beds, king-sized beds have their own pillowcase sizes, with a king sheet set containing two pillowcases measuring 20 x 36 inches.
The standard mattress sizes and sheet size for king size beds are:
- Mattress – 76 x 80 inches, 198 x 203 cm
- Bed skirt – 76 x 80 inches, 198 x 203 cm
- Fitted sheet – 76 x 80 inches, 198 x 203 cm
- Flat sheet – 108 x 102 inches, 274 x 259 cm
- Comforter –104 x 90 inches, 264 x 229 cm
These measurements are different from what you’d find with California king beds, which are longer and narrower than standard or eastern king beds.
The standard sheet sizes and mattress size for California kings are:
- Mattress – 72 x 84 inches, 182 x 213 cm
- Bed skirt – 72 x 84 inches, 182 x 213 cm
- Fitted sheet – 72 x 84 inches, 182 x 213 cm
- Flat sheet –108 x 102 inches, 274 x 259 cm
- Comforter – 102 x 96 inches, 259 x 244 cm
We should also note that many mattresses are now deeper than they were in the past, creating a need for wider and longer flat sheets to allow sufficient material to be tucked under the mattress. Modern mattress depths can range from 9 to 24 inches.
Depth is also a factor when dealing with fitted sheets. The typical pocket in a fitted sheet is 15 inches deep, which will fit mattresses up to 17 inches deep.
However, the pocket depth of high-quality sheet styles will generally be greater than 15 inches deep. Bed skirts will typically have a drop length of 14 to 15 inches.
No matter what size bedding you’re looking for, InnStyle – forgive the pun – has you covered, from mattresses to sheets to duvets to comforters. Contact our sales team today to learn how we can help give your guests a better night’s sleep.