At InnStyle, we’ve long offered products that carry the “certified organic” label, but what does that distinction really mean in connection to the organic cotton sheets, towels, etc. we sell?
Organic certification only applies to cotton grown according to strict requirements governing fiber production and processing and the use of pesticides and fertilizers.
In this blog post, we’ll look at two of the international organizations that certify organic products such as cotton sheets, cotton towels and other cotton products such as robes, duvets, etc..
The Global Organic Textile Standard
Also known as GOTS, this is a standard that guarantees the organic products you use are safe and environmentally friendly, and produced in a socially-responsible manner. These are products that are:
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Made in a way that poses no threat to the environment or the communities in which they are produced.
- Produced in facilities that are safe and hygienic, and offer livable wages, appropriate work hours and employ no child laborers.
The International Oeko-Tex Association
Made up of textile representatives from Europe and Japan, this group creates industry standards and is responsible for testing products for harmful substances.
- Evaluates raw materials and finished products for all stages of the manufacturing chain
- Tests consumer textiles to make sure they are free of harmful substances, irritants and toxins.
- Provides a uniform evaluation based on scientific standards to ensure the human ecological safety of textiles.
What’s the difference between the Oeko-Tex and GOTS?
While both organizations certify textiles to be free of all harmful chemicals, GOTS takes it a step further and certifies that no harmful chemicals were used from harvest through manufacture, waste is disposed of responsibly, and fair labor practices are enforced.
If you are looking for a product that has been manufactured safely to the environment, purchase organic.
You might pay a little bit more, but you won’t have to worry about whether your products are environmentally friendly, or if they contain harmful pesticides.
We carry several organically-produced products that are Oeko-Tex or GOTS certified, including:
- Our new 180-thread count Green Threads organic cotton sheets.
- The Sateen woven 300-thread count duvet cover.
- This organic cotton robe with an airy waffle weave.
- Our gentle, ultra-absorbent organic towel.
Please contact InnStyle to learn more about our organic products. Our dedicated sales staff is looking forward to helping you.